Don't be intimidated! Dr. Dane shows us how to cut a chicken into 8 lucky pieces in under 5 minutes!
How to Cut a Chicken Into 8+ Lucky Pieces
1 whole chicken yields 8+ chicken pieces:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 chicken wings
- 2 drum sticks
- 2 thighs
- 1 Breastbone (to use for soups and broths!)
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 Sharp Chef's Knife
- 1 Pair of Cutting Shears
Total Time: 5 min
- Prep: 3 min
- Cook: 2 min
- Wash your chicken thoroughly with a salt rub and water. Dry the chicken by patting it down with a paper towel. Place the chicken breast-side-up on your cutting board.
- Remove the Quarter Legs: Pick up the chicken to feel for the joints between the thigh and body. Use your chef’s knife to cut through the joint (for easy slicing) and pull the leg away from the body, popping the hip bone out of the socket below the breast. Repeat for the leg on the other side of the body. Place parts to the side.
- Remove the Wings: Find the joints between the upper wing and the body. Cut through the joint, and repeat for the wing on the other side of the body. Place parts to the side.
- Remove the Breastbone: Find the breastbone on the body. Use your cutting shears to cut just above it. Place parts to the side.
- Divide the Breast: Use your chef’s knife to split the chicken in half, right down the center. This bone is thick, cut with a bit of force!
Feel free to further chop, cut, divide your parts as needed!
Did you make this recipe? We'd love to see it! Share your comments below or via Instagram by tagging us @DrDanesKitchen #FOODISLOVE